Following any type of automobile accident, here is what you need to know upfront about hiring a Greenville auto accident lawyer:
- The fees of a car accident lawyer are based on a “contingency fee” arrangement, which means any auto insurance settlement with the client or any court order the client obtains will cover the attorney’s fees.
- If you are involved in a car accident, you must read the fine print regarding your legal fees.
- Choosing the right car accident lawyer can make all the difference in securing the best outcome.
As of 2018, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), South Carolina had the highest number of fatalities per 100 million vehicle miles traveled. There were 1.83 fatalities for every 100 million miles driven on the state’s roads.
How Much Does a Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
The typical car accident lawyer works on a contingency rate instead of an hourly fee, meaning you do not pay them until they collect money for you. Other firms might charge you an hourly fee if they handle different types of cases.
The lawyer will not charge you until the case ends in a settlement, so if you hire them, you will not have to be concerned about any legal fees. Instead, their commission will be a percentage of your settlement (or whatever the judge or jury awards you if you go to trial). In case they do not collect the funds for you, you will not be responsible for paying the fees.
Benefits of a Contingency Fee Arrangement:
The contingency fee arrangement benefits clients because:
- You can be sure that your car accident lawyer is putting your interests first. Your success depends on their success and vice versa.
- You can work together right from the beginning so that you can focus on getting the best possible outcome for your case.
- You do not have to worry about upfront costs. As soon as you contact a lawyer, you will receive help.
Average Contingency Rates for a Greenville Car Accident Lawyer:
If you are contacting an auto accident lawyer, it may be wise to ask about their fee percentage. Although most attorney fee percentages fall within a general range, many firms charge different fees.
Generally, a car accident lawyer will charge between 33.3% and 40% of their normal fees for cases. Litigation cases that are more complex might be charged a higher rate. According to the American Bar Association, cases that take longer or require more mediation, arbitration, or litigation may result in increased fees.
Several factors influence the exact percentage, including:
- What state does the traffic accident attorney practice in?
- When will the case be resolved?
- How long will the trial take?
- Will the case be complex?
Because it is very important to schedule an appointment in advance and discuss everything in detail with your legal advisor, you and your Greenville auto accident lawyer can clarify your claim, the likely outcome of your case, as well as how your lawyer will bill you.
Other Case Fees:
Personal injury cases involve certain additional costs. These may include:
- Medical records copies
- Expert witness fees
- Court-related expenses, including transcript copies
- Filing fees
- Expenses for services such as legal research, photocopies, postage, and court evidence
The attorney will typically pay for all of these costs from the start of your case to the end. However, you will be responsible for repaying their expenses from your share of the settlement you will receive.
Your Cost Depends on Your Final Settlement:
If you hire an experienced lawyer, you will usually receive a much better result than you would have received on your own. You should ask your lawyer about contingency fees and how they anticipate the progress of your case during your consultation.
You also want to be sure that you and your Greenville auto accident lawyer are on the same page and that your expectations are met on both sides, so though your fees will be part of the deal, it will be worth it if the settlement amount you deserve is earned.
In this sense, you should consult with a counselor about:
- How much of my compensation do you take as payment?
- How many legal fees and other costs should I expect in my case?
- Are all my expenses deducted from my recovery or am I required to pay them before receiving my recovery?
- How can I keep in touch with you during the case and when can I expect updates?
Asking these questions can give you a sense of what your potential traffic accident attorney might be like to work with, as well as how much it will cost if they win your case.
Fixed Price Agreements Are Rare:
Lawyers who specialize in road accident cases rarely offer fixed prices. In this case, a lawyer may charge a block fee for certain legal services. For example, a lawyer might charge a block fee for sending a demand letter, which is sometimes a one-time task. In general, car accident attorneys do not encounter these issues very often, so you will not have to worry about how you will deal with them after an accident.
Therefore, for most traffic accident lawyers, there is no cost associated with hiring them. Only if they make money for you will they charge anything, and even then it will only be a percentage of what they make for you. Direct costs are not incurred when it comes to contingency fees, which means you are less likely to be exposed to risk and all the hedging has been done for you.
Get a Free Consultation With a Traffic Accident Lawyer:
For a free initial consultation with one of our experienced and compassionate traffic accident lawyers, call us today. Most Greenville personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, but many do not charge for advice. Your questions can be answered during the consultation, and we can gain more insights into your case.