A settlement tells you how much you can get for your car accident. One of the first questions our clients ask is how much their car accident case is worth. Some of them are realistic and understand that they can only demand money for the injuries they suffered. Others have unrealistic expectations. They think their case is going to net them millions of dollars. Greenville auto accident attorneys understand that it doesn’t work this way.
In order to collect any money, you’ll need to prove the other driver was at fault. This is no easy feat. Your personal injury lawyer in Greenville, South Carolina will also need to prove your damages. You cannot assume that they’ll be able to get the full amount listed in your complaint.
The good news is that more than 95% of all car accident cases settle out of court. Nobody wants to go to trial, including your lawyer. The question then becomes – what is the average car accident settlement in Greenville, South Carolina?
Why Do So Many Greenville Car Accident Cases Settle Out of Court?
Every now and then, we meet with an accident victim who refuses to settle their case. They think they’ll get more money if they go to trial. They also insist they want their “day in court.” The truth is that going to trial is never a good idea.
Our Greenville auto accident attorneys have decades of experience handling cases just like yours. They know that the best way to resolve their clients’ cases is to settle them out of court. Not only is this a lot faster and cheaper, but you don’t have to risk losing in court. No matter how strong you think your evidence may be, there’s always the chance the judge or jury will take the side of the defendant.
Some of the reasons personal injury attorneys in Greenville, South Carolina prefer settling car accident lawsuits include the following:
- Trials can take over a year to resolve. Nobody wants to wait that long for their money.
- It’s a lot more expensive to go to trial than it is to settle. The money your Greenville auto accident attorney spends on the trial will come out of your award for damages. This is money that could’ve gone into your pocket. Why waste money and resources if you don’t have to?
- You don’t have to run the risk of losing if you settle.
- You won’t have to worry so much about comparative fault. If a judge or jury found you to be partially at fault, you’ll likely lose a large percentage of your judgment.
Since both sides are eager to settle, it makes sense to at least consider an out-of-court settlement. Your personal injury lawyer in Greenville, South Carolina will work hard to negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf.
Is There a Magic Formula for Determining Your Settlement Amount?
It wouldn’t be fair for your attorney to promise that you’ll get any certain amount in your car accident lawsuit. It all depends on the facts of your case. It also depends on how serious your injuries were.
Despite what you may have heard, there is no special formula that decides how much you’ll settle your case for. However, there are a few guidelines you can keep in mind while your attorney tries to negotiate a settlement:
- For pain and suffering, you can usually expect about three times your economic damages. If your medical bills, property damages, and lost income adds up to $100,000, your Greenville auto accident attorney will demand $300,000 in pain and suffering. That doesn’t mean you’ll get this much. It’s just a starting point for negotiations.
- Very rarely is one driver found to be 100% at fault. Usually, the other driver paid some role in the crash. Therefore, it’s safe to assume that your settlement will be at least 20-30% less than your full demand.
- The final thing to consider is that you have to compromise when you’re looking to settle. You aren’t going to get the full amount. This is the tradeoff you make when you decide to settle out of court.
With all of these factors in play, one can understand why it’s so hard to pinpoint an exact value for your settlement.
Your Greenville Auto Accident Attorney Will Negotiate the Best Settlement Possible
As common as it is to settle car accident lawsuits in South Carolina, that doesn’t mean you have to settle for less than you deserve. Your lawyer isn’t going to force you to accept a low settlement. You need to make sure you at least cover your out-of-pocket expenses. There’s no reason why you should be left holding the bag. The defendant should at least be liable for your medical expenses and other economic losses.
Typically, your attorney will start negotiating a settlement once your complaint has been filed. At this point, the defendant’s lawyer knows you mean business. Your attorney will reach out to both the attorney and the insurance adjuster and try to get them to compromise. You can expect to end up somewhere between your full demand and the other side’s starting position during negotiations. One thing is for certain – your attorney isn’t going to accept less than what they feel you deserve.
Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney in Greenville, South Carolina
If you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident, you should call our office right away. Talk to our talented staff so they can schedule your free, initial consultation. It won’t cost you a thing. Just make sure you take advantage of this opportunity. You should sit down with one of our seasoned personal injury lawyers in Greenville, SC right away. Our attorneys have decades of experience handling cases just like yours. They know what it takes to prove your case. Even more importantly, you want to make sure your attorney is able to settle your case out of court.
Since the initial consultation won’t cost you anything, make sure you take full advantage of this first meeting. Ask any questions you may. It’s critical that you pay attention to the questions asked by your lawyer. Also, make sure to ask any questions you have going into the appointment.